Julio Desnoyers' Studio

Friday, February 27, 2009

Topics: Why I Love Silents and Rudy later in life

I love silents because for me they are a lot like poetry. I can't stand many movies today where dialouge between people have taken on some kind of sport like function between individuals, especially in romantic comedies. In the older days, like the 30s the cleverness of dialouge was fun and a farce enjoyed by many but now, it's just trite and I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE it. And to tell you how much, I hate the word hate and rarely use it.
Silents rely on emotion and honesty. There can be decpetion of course but it's played down because the realness of the personalities of the individual characters comes to the front, to the top of the scene therefore the lines are never blurred if it's ok to be lying or not, or if it's cute to be lying or not. It's clearly defined unless it's a comedy the liar is the bad guy.
I will write more on this maybe later today, but now I'm rushing through because I want to work out.

The second thing I wanted to write about today is Rudy's suffering and only because I was thinking about this last night. I was wondering why he suffered and didn't see a doctor when he was dealing with "seizures" and why he hid it from those who would pester him about getting some help.
I think sometimes suffering, physical suffering is in some respects easier the emotional suffering. And I feel that Rudy felt even if subconsiously so he should suffer for signing a contract barring his wife from his work and thereby driving her a way. So, I think he was suffering because he felt in some way he deserved too.
When I look at some of the pictures of Rudy when he is with Pola and at Mae Murry's wedding I detect anger in his face. And the reason I detect it is because Rudy was such a happy lad and went through life with a childlike joy ... making him shine his bubbly presence with those around him.

Another point, is that I feel sorry for flappers during Rudy's time. I do! Because I am affected so long later after his passing and can't even imagine the difficult and I'm sure overwhelming feelings flappers of his generation felt towards him.

Also, I'm working on the 3rd part of the fiction I'm writing about Rudy this weekend. I love to write it but I have to have the time and mental playground for it.