Julio Desnoyers' Studio

Monday, February 02, 2009

Lip Reading Son of the Sheik

I have tried really hard to read lips in Rudy's movies, especially with Son of the Sheik. I've done so with The Sheik, but with The Sheik we have the book so you can gather some of the language being said from the book. For instance, when Amhed is about to kiss Diane. She says, and there is a card after he says he can make her love him (in the book) "I rather you kill me" (also in the book). Then, he says something else before he forces her into a kiss, and I read it and I will look it up for this entry. So, the Sheik although I still try to figure out what is being said not as much as in "the Son of The Sheik" where I truly strain to get just what is being said, especially during the tender love scene between Yasmin and Amhed and mostly during their argument.

I have strained to the point, I wonder what damage I have done to my eyes at times to figure out their words. I know there is also a book that this movie was adapted from but from what I remember it was totally different, for one, it was called "Sons of the Sheik" he had two...

Anyway, I have figure out some of the language.

In the section called: The Cafe Maure when Ahmed goes in to confront (and take) Yasmin, he watches in anger as she received a gold necklace from a customer who insists on putting it around her neck. After he does so she backs away telling the customer, "Alrighty then have a good time" And she backs right into Ahmed, who grabs her arm and turns her around. She is happy to see him but Ahmed's eyes go immediately for the gold trinket and he grabs it in his open hand and says (I think) "Where did you get this Yasmin?"
Then, he tears it away. The customer protests and Yasmin looks startled and confused and Amhed jerks her closer to him, with his hand still tightly around her wrist and says: "I'm not through with you yet."

In the tent, this is what I see:
He takes Yasmin in the tent and puts her down on the couch and she pleads with him. I think she is trying to explain the circumstances of the customer and the necklace. Amhed gives her a threatening stare which makes her quiet and he walks away. Then, he takes of his robe and lights a cigarette, and turns his focus back on Yasmin, who clapse her hands over her heart and says: "Ahmed".
He softens, brings his own hand to his heart and remembering the pain inflicted on him, again becomes angry and stalks towards her. When he gets close she jumps up, and reaches for his hands, "explaining" still the situation at the cafe. (I think I can't see her face).
Ahmed chuckles, and shakes his head and says: "Don't worry about [it]" and then the card comes "So, my young charmer your mission in life is to lure men into lonely ruins to be robbed and tortured!"
When the scene comes back, he says something I can't determine completely but ends with him giving a firm nod and he says, "...and leave me!" (telling Yasmin she set him up at the ruins and then left him). I'm still working on the first part.
Ahmed (in one of my favorite moments of watching Rudy) turns a way for a moment to discard his cigarette and Yasmin grabs his vest and says, "Oh I didn't, I didn't, I wouldn't let that [happen]"
Ahmed grabs her wrist and pulls her hand off his vest and says something like, "you [better] let go of me, you ...something." I can't tell what it was but it's as if he called her a name?
Then, he leans over and says, "Forget about it. You're going to pay me back for this."
The card comes up and says, "I may not be the first victim, but by Allah, I shall be the one you remember!"
When the scene comes back, I think Ahmed says, "I'm going to get even."
Then he says, I'm thinking, "You yourself knew this would happen. You lied to me, Yasmin."
"That isn't true, I didn't lie, I didn't. I didn't know it was going to happen."
"Stop lying!"
"I'm not lying, I didn't lie. Really I didn't. I didn't know it was going to happen Amhed."
"I don't believe you!"
Yasmin raises up again to reach out to him and plead with him, he grabs her wrist
and swings her around, and she lands to the floor.This is where it gets really tricky, but it looks like he says "You think I'm going to stick behind you and believe the words ..." he laughs, mocking her, and says something else I can't quite distinguish and then he says, "and you think that?"
Then, he opens his shirt and says, "Look at these. Do you remember them or have you forgotten?"
Then, he swears to Allah, and the card comes up, "An eye for an eye a hate for a hate that is the law of my father". He is saying something a different but I think it's pretty close to the same sentiment.
Then, Yasmin, clasps her hands together and leans towards him, and declares while crying, "But I love you! I love you!"
This is my best guess. I think he says, "You? Don't make me laugh. You won't fool me again." Then, he pushes her a way and before he walks by her I think he says, "Out of my way."
Then, she grabs a hold of him, and she says, "I didn't do it. Oh. Please stop."
And he raises his hand and says, "Yasmin! If I could! If you ever hurt me again." and lifts her up and throws her from him and walks away from her.
Then, he turns back to her and she says, "Oh I hate you! I hate you! You--" (the card also pretty much says this.
Ahmed says, "I'll remember that. And then something like about "making it up". And i think he is saying that since he thinks she lies so much, she is making up hating him. (but it's really hard to tell what he says here and this is where I've really tried to make it out)
Then, it looks like Yasmin says: "You wish! Just stop it (or me)!"
Then, the rest is pretty much history for that scene. I'll do my other very favorite scene, and that is the tender one with them in the ruins before Ahmed is attacked.
I will most likely edit this post and I may add to it. but it was so much work. You just have no idea but now I need to get to bed.

Labels: