Julio Desnoyers' Studio

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Rudy's diary: when he received his beloved dog, Kabar.

I love Rudy's diary. His voice, his words, what could possible be better. I'm going to try to post some of my most favorite excerpts from this book before I have to give it back (it's on loan).

This is recorded in his diary, when he met his faithful dog Kabar who died in 1929. Who howled uncontrollably at the time of Rudy's death making a woman driving close by to Falcon Lair lose control of her car:

One very charming thing happened to me this morning. One of the very many things Hebertot has done for me since I have been in Paris. I admired tremendously a marvelous Dauberman-Pincher dog of his and this morning he sent his chauffeur to me with another dog of the same species, and equally beautiful specimen. He came in person a little later and asked me how I liked him. I told him that I was quite mad about the animal and would like to buy him. Hebertot told me that I must accept him "as a present, a souvenir" and now I am the proud processor of Kabar. Natacha and I named him after considerable eager discussion. You might have thought that it was the christening of a child, so particular we were about the suitability of the name to the beast. Another member of our family to travel with us.


Like Rudy (and (grumbling) Natasha) I love animals too and have two westies and one cat which all take over my bed when I crawl in it at night. Thank goodness it's a big enough bed (some times it doesn't seem to be though and they sleep like logs).

I'm going to try to write some fiction tonight. I feel bad about taking so long but work has been very hectic and it's time to change major gears in the story and get to the fantasy stuff, which may be hard for me to write but I'm going to do my best, this is just a lark of my own fancy.

Labels: